This timeline is intended to give students and mentors an idea of the Symposium application and presentation process and should be considered approximate and subject to change.
Early January – mid February
- Application opens early December 2019
- Completed applications are due by Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:59pm. Mentor approval of the abstract due by February 14, 2019.
- Symposium information session - These sessions are designed to introduce applicants to the HBCU Research Symposium, the application process, and the day-of procedures.
- Abstract writing workshops - The abstract writing workshop includes information on what exactly is an abstract, how to write one, and what information to include.
Late February – mid March
- Abstract Review - Review committee reads abstracts and makes revision recommendations.
- Notification - Students are notified of the status of the application and asked to make revisions, if necessary, based on committee feedback.
Late March – mid April
Revisions - Students make revisions to their abstracts based on committee feedback. In some cases, students will be asked to meet with HBCU Research staff for quick (15-minute) meetings to help with revisions. Revised abstracts will be due mid-February.
Confirmation - After applications submit their revised abstract, HBCU Research staff will review it and send an acceptance notification. At that time, applicants must officially confirm their participation in the Symposium via ourMy Symposium application system. During this process, applications are able to nominate researchers, mentors for CarverNext Awards. Official confirmation will be due mid-February, shortly after the abstract revision deadline.
- Session assignments – Poster presenters will be assigned to one of four poster sessions. Oral presenters will be assigned to an oral presentation session with similarly-themed projects. Applicants will receive their assignment only after they have been given their final confirmation (see above).
Late April – mid May
* Practice session sign-up information will be distributed to presenters via email and the My Symposium homepage.
Friday May 17, 2019 – Undergraduate Research Symposium,
11 a.m. – 6 p.m., Mary Gates Hall